I am very happy to announce that Mrs. G TV & Appliances is now certified as a Women Business Enterprise (WBE) with the State of New Jersey. How about that! Not an easy task. As detailed on the MWBE.com website, to become certified as a women owned business, business must show:
- All prospective members must provide clear and documented evidence that at least 51% or more is women-owned, managed, and controlled.
- The business must be open for at least six months.
- The business owner must be a U.S. citizen or legal resident alien.
Evidence must indicate that:
- The contribution of capital and/or expertise by the woman business owner is real and substantial and in proportion to the interest owned.
- The woman business owner must direct or cause the direction of management, policy, fiscal, and operational matters.
- The woman business owner shall have the ability to perform in the area of specialty or expertise without reliance on either the finances or resources of a firm that is not owned by a women.
This certification will give my business a boost when we bid on state government contracts and even some local corporate contracts.
I would like to thank Lorraine Allen, Regional Director of the New Jersey Small Business Development Center at the College of New Jersey, a great resource that provides free management and technical assistance to existing companies and start-up ventures. Lorraine set me up with Patrick Guidotti, President of PJG Consulting in Robbinsville, N.J., a business development and assistance firm specializing in government procurement and construction contracting. Patrick is an expert on doing business with the State of New Jersey. He walked me through the application process and made sure it was perfect before submitting all the necessary documents.
If you are a small business or thinking about creating one, I highly recommend working with the NJSBDC.
Support locally owned small businesses….New Jersey needs us!
Happy New Year!!
No responses yet